Gender Violence Talk by Jackson Katz
Some incredibly good points here by Jackson Katz. Some of my highlights:
- Why men intuitively tune out as soon as we talk about “women’s issues” or “gender issues” and why we need to realize that these are men’s issues, too.
- The breakdown of how we talk about gender violence in such a way that the abuser is eliminated from the equation so that all the attention is just on the state of the abused.
- The shoot-the-messenger mentality of some men to shut up women who speak up.
- How boys and men are also the victims of men’s violence.
- How important it is that men step up and defend women and not just in the dramatic physical violence scenarios but in all the little ways that sexist attitudes are encouraged.
- A great Martin Luther King Jr quote which can apply to a lot of areas.
- We don’t just need better sensitivity training for powerful men; we need better leadership training so that they wouldn’t even consider it in the first place.